The area of trusts and estates practice is a complex one, with many opportunities for tax planning. These opportunities include
- Minimizing tax through income splitting
- Planning for deferral of capital gains
- Minimizing taxes on death and to an estate through the use of special elections
- Evaluating certain non-resident strategies to “export” the trust to a favourable tax jurisdiction
- Tax planning for the division of the trust assets, either to beneficiaries or to other trusts, and evaluating the trust’s capital gains tax position and developing a capital gains minimization strategy (which may include an estate-freeze type of reorganization).
We can also prepare or review tax returns that involve complex trust situations. We are the professionals that other professionals often turn to in complex situations or just for a second opinion.